Bed Systems, Improved Posture, Correct Support Mattress, Comfortable Beds, Beds Range
YOUR HEALTH BED STORE
A representative male (mass = 79.6kg, height = 172.5cm) and female adult (mass = 62.8kg, height = 165.5cm) participated in this project. The alignment of the vertebral column, hips and shoulders was recorded for 12 bed types manufactured by major companies of varying construction types. Subjects lay on their side in the same relative position for each bed type.
- Sleepmaker Classic Miracoil 5 zone Mattress/Platform Base
- Sealy Posturepedic Prestige/Platform Base
- 7 Turn Coilflex Standard Mattress/Platform Base
- 7 Turn Coilflex Standard Mattress Variable Zone/Platform Base *
- Endorsed Medium Firm 3 Zone/Platform Base
- 5 Zone Pocket Spring/PlatformBase
- Simmons Beauty Rest Physio Supreme Comfort/Platform Base
- Pocket Spring Variable Zone/Platform Base
- Tempur-pedic (20cm) VE /Platform Base
- Tempur-pedic (20cm) VE /Variable Support Base **
- Latex Mattress (17cm)/Platform Base
- Latex Mattress (17cm)/Variable Support Base ***
* Denotes Mattress Type C. with "In Mattress" Variable Support
** Denotes Mattress Type I. with "Under Mattress" Variable Support
Dr. Lythgo's conclusions were
I conducted Biomechanics consultancy work for Spinal Bed Support Systems Pty Ltd. This work investigated the alignment of the body on 15 bed types that are commercially available. Information about the position of the back (vertebral column), shoulders and pelvis in 3- dimensional space was recorded buy a VICON motion analysis system. The results show the variable support system to align the body in a position similar to that achieved when standing (neutral position).
The mean difference, for example, in the line of the back from lumbar vertebrae 5 to cervical vertebrae 7 was 1.5°, whereas it was 7.2° for the other beds.
This demonstrates that the variable bed support system places the back in a position similar to standing whereas the other beds place the back in greater lateral flexion.
Noel Lythgo (PhD)
MAppSc, Grad., Dip. Ex. & Sport Science, BEd.